Travel is one of my favorite things to talk about. Of course I’d rather be actually traveling than just talking about it, but everything happens in its own perfect timing, right. In any case, what I can always be doing is planning my next travel adventure. As can you. Whether you are looking to produce a travel show, like me- or for leisure, or business- we should all have a new destination on the horizon.
Here are 5 compelling reasons we should be planning our next vacation, now…
- HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO: It gives you something to look forward to and we all need that. We all need a little light at the end of the tunnel. Something we can go to that excites us and reminds us who we are and what we care about. Live your life intentionally by going after the things in life that you want and the experiences you want to have. Studies have repeatedly shown that travel is good for your mind, mood, relationships and health.
- HAVE SOMETHING INTERESTING TO TALK ABOUT: Once you start doing a little research on your next adventure, the wheels in your head will be set in motion. You’ll be surprised how many time relatable topics now come up in conversation. You’re passion and interest for your travel itinerary can open up the conversation to all kinds of interesting tangents. And if you ask me- hopeful talking about sandy beaches, safaris and snow-skiing beats hearing the lastest atrocity you just heard on the news.
- EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND COMFORT ZONE: There are so many powerful quotes on travel and the ones that seem to move me the most have to do with the spiritual aspects of meeting people from different cultures. Even if you aren’t going that far, one of the truths about travel is that you are mostly out there exposed. You don’t know these people. They don’t know you. And you’re on their turf. I think a certain level of humility sets in when you’re hungry and on foreign soil. Even if that soil is Disney World.
- NOW IS THE TIME: I hear the voices in my head tell me that it’s too early to plan for this or that vacation because it costs too much, or I’d need shots or some other realistic, yet lame excuse for why it’s too early to even start. It’s not too early. I will see breathtaking views of deep blue lagoons in Costa Rica. I will go an Africa safari. I will go Down Under. And it’s not too early to start planning. I think sometimes we think that things are too far out of our grasp, but it is only our thinking that makes it so. Start doing the research on your dream destination. Now is the time.
- TRAVELING COMES AT ALMOST ANY PRICE POINT: Everything seems to come down to money these days and that has been reflected in both the decrease in travel over the past years and the increase we’ve seen in 2011. With all of the discount services like Groupon Getaways or Travelzoo, you can find great deals at a great price. If you’re really adventurous, you could go couch-surfing or even rent a room on Ashton Kutcher’s favorite, Airbnb. Of course, you could drop it all and teach English as a second language oversees. I’m just saying… you have options.
So there are my 5 reasons, what are yours? Where are you planning to visit next?! Let me know in the comments below and I may use it in another #TravelTalk post.
Thanks for being here.