I don’t usually like or enjoy funerals. I guess we are not really supposed to… In my past experience, they are sad, long and boring. None of which I am a fan of. But Whitney Houston’s Homegoing as shared on CNN yesterday gave me new perspective on how we can celebrate life while we mourn loss. I laughed, cried, danced and called my mom to tell her how much I love her.
The funeral of Whitney Houston, or Homegoing, as it was aptly called, was so moving and powerful- my faith in the power of love, life and God was renewed. I know I’m not the only one because as I watched the funeral on CNN, I tweeted the hashtag and joined a unified discussion with millions of others on Twitter.
There really are no words to describe the emotion of the service. It was held in Whitney’s hometown church, New Hope Baptist which gave it an authenticity so hard to capture on camera. Being one of the most famous people of our generation, Whitney’s life celebration included Kevin Costner, Alicia Keys, Tyler Perry, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick and many others.
Here are some of my tweets regarding #WhitneyCNN.
- Don’t talk about God. Live for God. Make HIM first. #whitneycnn
- HE got you. HE got you. #whitneycnn
- The life that we live is our gift to God. #whitneycnn
- The first question you should ask yourself is “Is this consistent with kingdom living?” #whitneycnn
- What God desires for everyone is that we would all be healthy and prosperous. God says “I got you”. #whitneycnn
- “You can’t serve money and God. Prioritize.” #whitneycnn
- “When people look at the Bible… they are looking at it wrong. Because THIS is the owner’s manual for life performance.” #whitneycnn
- “You are not a mistake. You are not a mishap. You’re existence on earth has significance.” #whitneycnn
- “Faith always expects. And faith always moves towards its goal.” #whitneycnn
- “Salvation is free… but it ain’t cheap” #whitneycnn
- “Don’t wait to live for God when you have one foot in the grave and the other foot on a banana peel…” #whitneycnn
- “If you say ‘amen’ we’ll get through this sooner. Otherwise I’ll think you don’t understand.” #whitneycnn
- Kevin Costner address is remarkably moving. This whole service is remarkably moving. #WhitneyCNN
- “We are not promised tomorrow…” #whitneycnn
- Swaying. Crying. Goosebumps. #whitneycnn
- “…you brought the world to church today.” #whitneycnn
- Me too. RT @ShirlsAdams11: @JenChicago47 Tears flowing from me like a river
- I just had to call my mom to tell her how much I love her. Life is so precious. #whitneycnn
- The lyrics “don’t cry for me” make me wanna cry… #whitneycnn
- There’s just nothing fake about this service… it all strikes you as authentic, you sense the love, can appreciate the bonds #WhitneyCNN
- I FELT that! RT @ToyBelle: R.Kelly sang like his life depended on it. Damn. Ok I see you. #WhitneyCNN #WhitneyHomegoing
- Right?! RT @fabulous_juls27: *whipes tears* #whitneyCNN
- R Kelley is giving me goosebumps. Amazing. #whitneycnn
- Watching Whitney’s funeral on CNN and am SO moved by the love in room… I’m in tears. If I haven’t told you lately, I love you.
For more on Whitney Houston’s Homegoing Funeral check out CNN’s coverage At Houston funeral, stories of faith, courage and love