So today is Thanksgiving, well it technically it’s the next day, but I call it “still Thursday” until I go to bed- which will probably be at around 4am. I’m thankful that I can sleep as late as I want tomorrow. Sleep is delicious- especially on my Duxiana pillows- I will be thankful when I buy the entire sleep system too. I can’t think of sleep without thinking of my best buddy, Samson. He sleeps with me and he snuggles my face when he feels me trying to wake up. I love that. It’s a sweet way to return to consciousness.
Samson is the only family I brought with me from Austin, but I never doubt that I’ll always have a home back in Texas. My family loves me and I am thankful for that. Mom is the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful woman I have ever known. I used to think she was corny, and now that I’m corny, I think she’s brilliant. She’s pretty too. Plus, she’s my biggest cheerleader- and you can imagine how much I delight in being cheered on. YOU are the best, Mom. No, YOU are…
And then there’s Dad. What a rock. What a cool cat. Maybe he’s why I’m not married. He’s a tough act to follow. I credit him with my wit, fire and determination. And although I never did have to change my own tire on a deserted road, I’m still thankful he made me learn. I thought he was so smart growing up. I still do. He explained to me the “eye of the tiger” and I loved that we shared that growing up. Oh- I’m thankful Sylvester Stallone produced Rocky, a movie that a dad and daughter could enjoy together… that and Cobra. Ha! It’s funny what you remember…
My sister and two younger brothers had just as much to do with making me, me. I’m thankful that they made me sweet, tough and (somewhat) responsible.
I’m thankful that I moved to Chicago and that the city embraced me as “JenChicago” even though I was brand new and didn’t know nuthin ’bout ‘nuthin. I’m thankful that Jim Grillo told Marcus Riley about me and I was invited me to join the NBC Street Team within my first summer of my new career. And through that, I met Catie Keogh the Executive Producer of 24/7 Chicago and now, I’m on NBC5! And I look gooo-oood on the small screen! And, just as I suspected, hosting a segment out in the field, feels so right! You know, like how a travel show would feel. *raise eyebrows* And I guess I’m thankful that it hasn’t been as easy as I would have liked it to be… Figuring out how to get from “here” to “there” has not been a smooth ride. I’ve cried over it. Been pissy about it. Thought I was taking crazy pills a time or two, but… hot damn, it’s been exciting. I like excitement. I love it. I want some more of it. And… so I am thankful for this puzzling puzzle called “Project: Jen Becoming A Travel Show Host”.
Wow- all this being #thankful feels really good. I’m gonna aim to do a #ThankfulThursday every week. Just decided. You were here.
I bet others would be thankful for my thankfulness… and on and on. Eh? So off the top of my head, for this past week, I want to say “Thank You” to…
- Tim McDonald for writing the sweetest post about me.
- Andrea Metcalf for going to see Burlesque with me tonight and bringing me a Thanksgiving plate.
- Marti Goyal for helping me create my first “holiday beauty tips” video.
- Karen Kovach for listening to the same story 12 different ways.
- The cab driver that reminded me I gave him a $50 bill, not a $20.
- Catie Keogh for assuring me that I’m on the right track.
- Zenelle, the maintenance guy at my building, that didn’t charge me to fix my garbage disposal, even though I guess he should have.
- My mom for sending me $50 with my Thanksgiving card.
- Michelle Molise for being a great Happy Hour date.
- The lady in my building that tossed her mint Hermes bag in the recycling room yesterday.
- Suzanne Ko for introducing me to Franks and Dawgs.
- God for making my life such an exciting roller coaster.
That felt good. Yeah.
You know, sometimes, I am so focused on where I want to go that I forget how far I’ve come… You ever do that?
I am thankful that I decided to write this. I wear my heart on my sleeve, and for that… guess what? #thankful